Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geoff Mills Geoff Mills is offline

Default Extending ring main in conduit?

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:37:00 -0700 (PDT), "js.b1"

You can buy cut lengths of 6491X online. TradingDepot, perhaps
AlertElectrical, Gil-Lec, TLC for gr/ye, a few others.

Thanks for the leads. I'll follow them up.

If there is no real requirement to use conduit, I would use oval.

Does oval marry up with the surface mounted back boxes in a similar
way to conduit?

Where conduit & flexible conduit can come into its own - even with
6491X is for kitchens, particularly with stud walling. Very easy to
create an unpopulated network of conduit ready for any future changes
so making kitchen refurbs a lot simpler (remember tile trim for on
worktop so apes don't destroy the tiling). You could extend it to
network drops and throughout the house - even if not used the oval/
conduit saves plaster :-) Makes it a lot easier than "damn, I wished
I'd..." having decorated vs simply having to measure & cut out a box
over pre-existing oval/conduit.

That is a state of excellence which I'm unlikely to achieve in this
lifetime. Fascinating to read though.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills