Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default not quite OT, and almost metal related - best goop to remove carbon deposits

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

I would add to all the suggestions for Sea foam etc: If you car has a
catalytic converter, whatever you pour through the engine exits through
the converter, and can clog it.

yes, that is one reason why I pull the exhaust manifolds off before
attempting to clean these passages.

snip

I think all that putting water into the
intake air would do is to cause corrosion in the magnesium alloy intake
manifold and seize up the vari-ram that adjusts the mainfold tuning as a
function of engine RPM --- and that would be a "really bad thing".

You are probably right. But you can use other fluids if you thought it
would get to the right place. Acetone has been used, for example.

Can you inject something (Sea Foam?) similarly into the access holes you
are working through, while the engine runs? Or add a feed line to the air
pump intake, rather than the engine manifold?.

I can certainly run a feed line to where the pump blows air - that's where
in the past I've hooked up my 160 PSI shop air - but I can't pour stuff
through while the engine runs because it will blow the stuff into the
catalytic converter, and you really don't want to know what a coverter for
one of these babies costs.....

does anyone know if sea foam or equivalent will do anything when the engine
is not hot? I can probably rig up some way to circulate it, or to make it
stagnate in the passages for a while so it can work its magic...