Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Whole House Surge Protector

fftt wrote:
On Sep 17, 4:16 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
RBM wrote:

If you've never had a problem with line lightning, I wouldn't
bother. I don't believe that the type of surge protectors you are
referring to would do much to protect sensitive electronics anyway.
If you want them to protect things like well pumps and motors,
fine, but the typical lightning strike that causes a surge, won't
be stopped quickly enough or completely, to safeguard sensitive
electronics, and won't help at all if your underground dog wire
gets hit again

You're spot on - if the lightning hits your house. If, however, the
lightning strike is merely near your home, a whole-house surge
protector (WHSP) will help.

As for "quickly enough," reputable WHSPs are rated from
"instantaneous" to five nanoseconds. Top-line WHSPs (Leviton,
Intermatic, Square-D, etc.), can handle surges up to 180,000 amps
and provide up to $25,000 damage reimbursement for connected
equipment loss.

Some WHSPs come with attachments to protect CATV and telephone lines.

Do oyu have a recommnedation for a WHSP?

Preferably Square-D (I have used their panels & breakers for the past
30 years with good results)

I had an electrical "event" (not lightening related) last November
that ruined a couple TV's, DVD players, AC adpaters, transformers,
garage door openers, etc.
SoCal Edison wound up paying for all of them but it was a hassle to
buy & replace all the stuff......so I would prefer to avoid

My meter is outside along with a main breaker. The service panel is
in a down stairs laundry room.
Where should the WHSP be installed?

Would I bust open the wall near the panel to install another box and
the WHSP would intercept the lines from the main breaker to the
service panel?
or would the WHSP have to go outside near the meter / service
entrance?

They are dirt simple to install. They are attached at the service panel and
have three wires.

It's a small box (~4x4") that attaches to a knock-out on the side or bottom
of the service panel.

One wire, the green one, goes to the earth ground. The other two attach to
the screws on adjacent circuit breakers such that both legs are protected.

The WHSP will do its business LONG before a circuit breaker will trip and
disconnect it.