Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_6_] Stephen[_6_] is offline

Default wall chasing

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 04:57:10 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

With a straight horizontal run between sockets, its trivial to pull
through a new cable if its in conduit, so hardly worth worrying about.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that. It could be a pain rewiring
vertical runs because it would mean lifting boards and dropping wires
down the wall, which might not go to plan but you are right, it should
be much easier to rewire a horizontal section if too much gets cut
off. So are we of the opinion that horizontal runs are best?

Here's a daft question: what should you use to fill the gap around the
box? I've always sued plaster but I saw Wickes selling cement and one
of the recommended uses was for filling around back boxes but it was
also listed as a suggested use for their mortar too. Is any one better
than any other?

Finally, I see on the FAQ that there is a tool for removing the
insulation from the middle of a section of T&E without cutting the
conductors. What is such a tool called and who sells them? I know I
don't need one for this job but I just happened to spot it whilst
reading the FAQ, which is excellent BTW.