Posted to alt.home.repair
AndyHancock AndyHancock is offline

Default Mold smell only short duration after shower

On Sep 15, 10:46*pm, cjt wrote:
AndyHancock wrote:
I rent a bachelors apartment in a 70's era highrise (cement walls
separate units). *Whenever I shower, I come out of the washroom and
smell something that I can only describe as wet plaster, or some such
chemical smell. *"Mold", I thought. *However, if I ventilate the
apartment for a short while (15 min), the smell goes away and stays
away. *I wouldn't expect mold to do that. *Could it be not mold?
Getting the management in to test and repair will be a major nightmare
(moving might be more palatable).

Sometimes there are "algae blooms" that make the water supply here smell
funky for a few days -- is it just the shower, or does your water smell
"off" in general? *How long has this been going on?

The water doesn't smell, but the air in the apartment smells when I
step out of the shower. Only for a short while, if I ventilate. Not
all the time, either. I'm not sure if it depends on whether the
shower is a hot one, or how long the shower is...something I'll keep
an eye on for now. Hot showers usually after a workout day.

If it was mold, I wouldn't expect it to release a smell only when
wetted. And if it was wetted, it wouldn't dry within 20 minutes
simply cuz I ventilate the apartment. I find that puzzling.