Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

Default Switch off at the socket?

Adrian wrote:
Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

We might be 6th/7th in the world for GDP, but our GDP is "only" around
3% of the world's GDP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_by_GDP_(PPP)

Oops. Sorry. That's the "frigged figures" tables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)
6th, with 4.5%.

Indeed. I could not remember the exact figure, but that feels about right.

We are disproportionately important in terms of some science, most
literature and a lot of music though.

I BELIEVE we actually generate MORE written English than the rest of the
world put together, and English is the de facto international language.

One thinmg taht did come over clearly from Mackays book, is just how
MUCH energy it takes to sustain a western lifestyle, and how little of
that is actually direct domestic consumption. Its far more about the
travelling you do, the goods you buy, especially food, and the
infrastructure you take for granted, than about the light bulbs you
leave on..