Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger[_10_] Roger[_10_] is offline

Default TOT Gizzajob

wrote in message
Have just been made redundant from my job in IT and am finding it hard
to find another.

Look harder then, it will not be handed to you!

Even the 1st line and 2nd line jobs now want you to have an MCSE.

It sorts out the hobbyist from someone who can do the work.

One option is to go and get an MCSE, but then there's the lack of a
degree,

Not always required, less companies are taking those with a degree
as it means nothing now. It is not a substitute for experience and
skill - so employers go for that now instead.
Who wants someone with a degree that they have to spend lots of
money on training them to do the job!

and the lack of 3 years feeding and caring for a server farm
which aren't so easily rectified.

No idea what you are talking about or how it applies.

I also suspect the lack of interest in me may be due to the recruiters
being able to work out my age from the fact I took O'Levels rather
than GCSEs

I doubt it, it's just that you don't have the required expertise or
decent references from previous employers. They want experience
so you need to sell yourself more.

I do have an interest in audio (PA) and obviously D-I-Y.

Good, I like washing my car and giving it a showroom shine
and also growing sweetcorn.

Anyone any suggestions for a good line of work to be getting into?

No, not really. Most people take what they can - something they
can use experience and skills in.