Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Leaking Towel Rad ...

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
I've just fitted a chrome ladder-type towel rad as part of my bathroom
refit. Right angled valves onto pipes that I've chased into the wall. No
problems with any of that, but I've got a slight weep from the tails
where they screw into the rad. I wrapped the threads with what I thought
was an appropriate amount of PTFE tape before fitting the tails, and
pulled them up (needs a bloody great allen key) as tight as seemed
reasonable.

It's only a small weep, resulting in a single drip perhaps every 10
minutes. The heating system is off at the moment, and has been all
summer, so it's all cold, and any water pressure is static only, so I'm
thinking if I power back up, this problem is only going to be worse. I've
looked very carefully, and the water is definitely coming down from where
the tail enters the rad, not welling up from the tap to tail union. Both
sides are doing it , but one about twice as much as the other.

So what's the answer ? More tape ? Pull the tails up a bit tighter ? Some
different thread sealer ? Obviously, it's a pain in the arse to have to
keep draining the rad, and taking it back off the wall, so a 'guaranteed
fix-in-one' would be nice, if anyone's had this problem, and sorted it.

If there is enough PTFE tape on they shouldn't need a lot of force to
tighten enough. It sounds from what you say you are putting a lot of force
on, ergo there isn't enough PTFE tape. The threads are (or should be)
tapered and quickly tighten onto the PTFE. If they are tightening metal to
metal they wont seal.

There may be another problem but I would just put a lot more PTFE on!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Thanks for the advice Bob. That's what I'm gonna do. Let you all know how I
get on ...

Arfa