Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT - Lug nuts removal techniques

"Jules" wrote:

I still have a habit of carrying a bit of hollow steel pipe
in my vehicles that'll slide over the end of the lug wrench -

A good idea.

makes life really easy if stuck at the side of the road in the cold and wet
with a flat. I actually bent a 2' long, 5/8" wide wrench in getting the
wheel nuts off my wife's car (first time I'd pulled them off after she'd

I bent the standard 1960's GM lugwrench once, with my bare hands
(while it was attached to a lugnut). It didn't work well after that,
but it was more than made up for by the boost to my ego.

bought it) because they'd been put on so darn tight :-(

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:22:34 -0400, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
The torque extender. An old trick, but still very useful.
Most factory supplied lug wrenches just aren't long enough
to be useful. Hollow steel pipe works better than solid
steel pipe with no hole in the middle.

Actually, solid pipe was invented over 100 years before hollow pipe.
It was intended for water supply but did not work. Four generations of
the Pluterchius family worked on improving it, until the next to
youngest great-grandson, Minimus Plutarchius, invented the hole.

He was apparently an idiot savant, because he was a failure in school
and in other career endeavours. He was dependent on his father for
support, and later on his brothers. His father had earned a modest
income from royalties on the solid pipe, and Minimus might have
received much larger royalties for his pipe improvement, but he was
overly impressed by himself after his invention, and thought he could
also handle the related legal issues. So instead of consulting with
his brothers, he tried to do things on his own, and ended up getting
nothing. He spent the rest of his life depending on the loyalty of his
brothers for income.

The four way wrenches, sometimes called star wrenches. Work
nicely for me. I lean my left side against the vehicle. Put
my left foot on the left side of the wrench, push down. Pull
up on the right side, with one or both hands. Seems to
provide some extra torque.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus