Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Whole House Surge Protector

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, lighting struck a tree near my house, hit the
ground, entered my underground invisible dog fence, ran through the
wire to the outlet in the garage where the control unit is plugged in
including a lighting protector, scorched the outlet and wall
underneath, tripped that circuit breaker, and also fried the cable
(cable TV and internet) at the first splitter.

Fortunately the cable repair was free, but I paid over $240 for the
invisible fence repair. I asked the invisible fence company if a
whole house surge protector would have helped, and they said not in
this case, that the circuit was fried from the outside to the outlet,
not from the utility power.

So I'm debating whether to invest in a whole house surge protector or
not, and if so, to buy or "lease". I have two circuit panels and
received an electrician's estimate of over $400 installed since I
have two panels. Another company will install a whole house surge
protector for free, I just get $8.50 added to my electric bill each
month, about $100 per year. It would take four years for the first
option to be better. I'm not sure I'll be here much past six years,
when my youngest starts college and we want to downsize.

So, should I invest in a whole house surge protector? Does it not
protect against lighting? Do I buy the $400 version or "lease" for
$8.50 per month?
Inquiring minds want to know.

A whole-house surge protector is a good idea, irrespective of whether you
have dogs.

A whole-house surge protector costs about $50 (more or less). If your hand
fits a screwdriver, you can install it yourself. Instructions come with the
unit.

If, after you buy one, it still doesn't make sense, post here and I or
someone else will be glad to advise you.