Posted to alt.home.repair
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Dimitrios Paskoudniakis is offline

Default Whole House Surge Protector

A couple of weeks ago, lighting struck a tree near my house, hit the ground,
entered my underground invisible dog fence, ran through the wire to the
outlet in the garage where the control unit is plugged in including a
lighting protector, scorched the outlet and wall underneath, tripped that
circuit breaker, and also fried the cable (cable TV and internet) at the
first splitter.

Fortunately the cable repair was free, but I paid over $240 for the
invisible fence repair. I asked the invisible fence company if a whole
house surge protector would have helped, and they said not in this case,
that the circuit was fried from the outside to the outlet, not from the
utility power.

So I'm debating whether to invest in a whole house surge protector or not,
and if so, to buy or "lease". I have two circuit panels and received an
electrician's estimate of over $400 installed since I have two panels.
Another company will install a whole house surge protector for free, I just
get $8.50 added to my electric bill each month, about $100 per year. It
would take four years for the first option to be better. I'm not sure I'll
be here much past six years, when my youngest starts college and we want to
downsize.

So, should I invest in a whole house surge protector? Does it not protect
against lighting? Do I buy the $400 version or "lease" for $8.50 per month?

Inquiring minds want to know.