Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default prepping interior trim.

"Chris" wrote
..
hello. i am about to repaint the trim in my hallway. I do know that
there is a layer of lead paint with a coat or two of latex paint. so,
i am thinking that snding is out of the question. Would the procedure
be to wash down with a cleaner then use a deglosser.. then prime and
paint?thanks.

Chris, unless you have kids or pets knawing the baseboards, I wouldnt worry
that there's lead paint under it.

If you do worry about the lead though, it leaches into the wood so you have
to replace it to be totally rid of it. Mostly though you just strip it
(chemical or sander) then repaint with a non-lead paint.

Lead paint wont infuse your house with nasties, unless you eat it as it
peels off.