Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Older house wiring puzzle

On Sep 16, 1:21�pm, wrote:
On Sep 16, 11:26�am, bud-- wrote:

bud-- wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:30:44 -0500, bud--
wrote:

bob haller wrote:
On Sep 14, 10:25?am, bud-- wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Sep 14, 1:17 am, bud-- wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Sep 13, 12:04 am, David Nebenzahl
I think you meant to type "GFCI", no? I don't think my client
wants to
pay for them fancy newfangled GRCI breakers ...
Yeah why bother installing something that saves lives, bet they
want
to save bucks on their new vehicle by deleting safety belts? and
why
not remove and sell off the air bags too.
Maybe if you learned to read you could figure out what John and
Dave said.
if the solder joint detoriates for whatever reason it can
overheat and
since its not in a box cause a fire..
Another item you have been challenged on in the past. In years of
doing
service work I never saw a solder joint that "deteriorated". I saw 2
that failed that were "cold joints" when they were made. One was
K&T.
Anecdotal evidence (clare's younger brother) proves the real
hazard is
Romex. I am confident you will now demand removal of all the
hazardous
Romex wiring out there.
It is certainly as strong as your anecdotal evidence.
Or has an insurance company come up with actual casualty data?
--
bud--
K&T typically has one outlet per room, necessitating lots of

The anecdotal evidence in this thread (clare) clearly indicates
Romex is
unsafe.

nothing lasts forever despite how much you protest
Still missing - the insurance casualty data that shows K&T is
unsafe. An
insurance company did not present any such data in one of the links
that
was posted.

The only links that have been posted do not support your crusade
against
K&T.

I believe the electricians in this newsgroup do not agree with you.

all those required NEC safety codes are totally unnecessary,
The NEC still has a section on K&T. Among the limited applications is
reconnecting in a rewire. Why is it still there?

and state
farm is out to lunch refusing to insure homes with K&T/
In Minnesota, State Farm put a surcharge on houses that did not have
the service replaced in some time period (don't remember what it
was). They were reversed by the state insurance regulator. I remember
there was no insurance casualty data that supported the surcharge.

In one of the links provided, an insurance company that was
challenged "provided no justification for its position".

As I have said, K&T is probably the latest redlining technique.

those defending K&T are just attempting to defend their refusal to
upgrade their homes.......
The house I live in has never had K&T.

The links provided do not support your fetish.

I don't remember anyone else who did either. Why don't you get any
support???

Still no insurance casualty information that shows K&T is a problem..

�It's not casualties, it's property loss they are woried about.

I understand insurance casualty to be insurance loss information.

The vast majority of houses with K&T are under wired, so a lot of
extension cords, and often overfused to allow use of all the stuff
everyone wants to use. Remenber, many houses had only 2 or 3 fuses
originally. Even 6 15 amp circuits is inadequate for most homeowners
today.

Then maybe insurance companies could evaluate if houses had "adequate"
outlets and circuits.

As I wrote before, my house was wired with rigid pipe and originally had
maybe 1 or 2 outlets per room.

I still believe K&T denials are just redlining.

And to repeat from one of the 2 links in this thread, the report from a
state insurance regulator on a challenge to insurance denial, the
insurance company "provided no justification for its position that knob
and tube wiring per se automatically provides grounds for nonrenewal".

--
bud--

That's from ONE case that went to trial. � Maybe the insurance company
just decided that it wasn't worth the cost to go do the collection of
data, make that data to the standards that a court would require,
provide all the necessary expert witness testimony instead of just
paying the $100K or whatever the judgement would be.

The notion that insurance companies just go around "redlining" for no
reason is silly. � They have their factors which affect how much they
may or may not pay out depending on multiple factors. � Personally, I
would not want to insure a 100 year old house with hacked up knob and
tube as described in the original post. � I guess I'd guiltu of
"redlining", whatever exactly that term means. �Insurance companies
are in the business of making money. �Denying to take policy when
there is not substantial increased risk makes no sense. � �Google
"knob tube wiring insurance" and you will find plenty of hits
concerning problems.

I guess the next step is for Obama to nationalize the home insurance
markets because some people with K&T can' get insurance and the evil
insurance companies are "redlining."- Hide quoted text -

everyone wants low rates, but the added risks from super old homes,
K&T wiring, bad roofs. cracked uneven sidewalks, all of these are
outward indicators of a poorly maintained home.

when all is said and done the added claims MUST be covered by higher
insurance rates. who voluneers to pay more?

if you google this topic you will find many reports of cant get
homeowners insurance.

makes selling home near impossible.