Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Steve Thackery Steve Thackery is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

No. It's converted into quite a lot of 'work', quite a lot of 'motion'
(or what your earthling mind may know as "force"), and a small amount
- much less than 20 watts net worth - of heat.

Oh for goodness' sake, ZT!! I, amongst others, have tried to explain it
constructively and politely, and yet you still refuse to learn, or even
acknowledge that you have anything to learn!

Here's the straight dope, mate: you don't have a f***ing clue about basic
physics, and it's high time you realised that and showed a bit of humility.

You can't take 20 watts, then get 20 watts worth of use (e.g. CPUs,
processors, spinning discs, etc) out of it, then still have 20 watts
left which is magically converted into heat. That's not how it works.

No, no, no! That's EXACTLY how it works. Energy is neither created nor
destroyed: it all ends up as heat. An Intel CPU uses 65W of electricity and
generates 65W of heat. A hard disk uses 7W of electricity and generates 7W
of heat. A 100W tungsten filament bulb uses 100W of electricity and
produces 95W of heat and 5W of light. The light bounces around the room,
gets absorbed by all the dark surfaces and re-radiated as heat.

How many more times must we go through this?

There are losses at every stage of energy conversion.

Yes, yes, yes!! And those losses are in the form of heat!!

Oh, my mistake, I thought this might be a sensible discussion.

Did you really? Does "sensible" include putting your fingers in your ears
and insisting everybody else but you is wrong?

SteveT