Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Ping - Medway Handyman

Tim Decker wrote:
On 15 Sep, 22:57, "tim....." wrote:
Dave,

I'm considering a move to Medway because it is cheap.

Are there any places that really should be avoided? I want to be in
the catchment of one of the 4 (5?) stations.

I was going to say the Allington Drive area of Strood! Dave may
disagree cos he lives near here.....but it's miles from the station.

That had never occurred to me. I've never commuted. Handy for the motorway
though.

To be honest, like many towns there are some dire areas and finding
somewhere that is near to the Station and is in the right school
catchment area can be challenging.
Take a look at these two examples, that are less than 500 metres
apart.
ME2 4BN This is near to the Station, but the nearby carpark has an
alcohol control order in place and there has been a lot of trouble
here in the past
ME2 3DU This is also near the Station, (about 5 mins walk), but it is
a nice quiet close, near to a good school.

The good news for Medway is that the new fast commuter services from
Strood are only 35 minutes from London St Pancras. So whilst house
prices are cheap now, I would expect that when they start to rise
again we could be in for a bit of a property boom.

I'd agree with that, part of the regenration area and all.

My tips on places to avoid:
Anywhere with a large concentration of Social Housing. www.mhs.org.uk/
for more details. There are actually some really nice properties
dotted around, but when they are all in one place.... I think new
planning regulations try to avoid this for obvious reasons.

Anywhere where you have to drive or catch a bus to get to the station.
I lived in Hoo for 7 years and it was real pain, always having to give
the kids lifts and paying an arm a leg for a taxi if you have a late
night.

It can be a bit cut off out on the peninsular, any further out than Hoo &
its wise to count peoples fingers :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk