Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_8_] Mark[_8_] is offline

Default Electric connection

"Mark" wrote in message
Kind of hard to describe what I'm looking for here. I think on RVs and
5th wheels, and I know on the 'beer wagon' get from the distributor for
our church festival, there is a 'reverse' receptacle where you connect an
extension cord to power the lights and such. This device looks similar to
a single receptacle with a flip-up cover, but under the cover is actually
a plug (male) rather than a receptacle (female) connector. You plug the
female 'outlet' end of an extension cord into this, and the other end into
a power source. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

What I want to do, if I can find such a thing that would fit on a standard
exterior electric box, is mount one on the back of my house with the
wiring running to a standard outlet mounted in my basement. I'd then be
able to plug a cord from my generator into this, and then supply my
freezer, refrig, lights, etc. from the outlet in the basement. This would
keep me from having to run the extension cord from the generator thru an
open window in cold weather. Also when it wasn't in use it wouldn't be
too obtrusive such as a plain old wire running thru the side of the house.

Any thoughts on this? Or other ideas for something along these lines?

Mark

Thanks everyone, and RBM for the link to exactly what I'm looking for! I
hacked around on the web and hadn't come across anything like that. I'll
check the local electric supply shops (now that I know what to ask for!) and
see if I can get one for the weekend! It's been 1 yr since Hurricane Ike
went thru Ohio and we were without power for a week. Wasn't all that much
of an issue then because the weather was warm, but I'm sure the next time it
will be 20 below and I certainly don't want to have a window cracked to run
the wire thru!

Thanks again....