Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Electric connection

Mark wrote:
Kind of hard to describe what I'm looking for here. I think on RVs and
5th wheels, and I know on the 'beer wagon' get from the distributor for
our church festival, there is a 'reverse' receptacle where you connect
an extension cord to power the lights and such. This device looks
similar to a single receptacle with a flip-up cover, but under the cover
is actually a plug (male) rather than a receptacle (female) connector.
You plug the female 'outlet' end of an extension cord into this, and the
other end into a power source. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

What I want to do, if I can find such a thing that would fit on a
standard exterior electric box, is mount one on the back of my house
with the wiring running to a standard outlet mounted in my basement.
I'd then be able to plug a cord from my generator into this, and then
supply my freezer, refrig, lights, etc. from the outlet in the
basement. This would keep me from having to run the extension cord from
the generator thru an open window in cold weather. Also when it wasn't
in use it wouldn't be too obtrusive such as a plain old wire running
thru the side of the house.

Any thoughts on this? Or other ideas for something along these lines?

Mark

Hi,
Easiest thing to do will be to go to your local RV shop and get an pid
tail adapter or whatever you need. I used to own a fair size 5th wheel.
I made an adapter with receptacles and proper gauge cable to get power
to the unit in any camp ground. It worked fine and was very convenient.