Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default OT - Lug nuts

Kate wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
Kate wrote:
I just got a new car and the wheels do not have lug nuts on them.

Do I need to be concerned about the wheels being stolen?

Would you live with it the way it is, or pay $45 for four keyed or
locking lug nuts?

Everyone is always so helpful so I wanted to post here even though it
is off topic.

Many thanks.

Kate

Hi,
We have 4 cars in the family(one for each of us).
When we get new car we have them installed. Lug nut is easy to
remove with a tool(socket) made for that. Just making it little
inconvenient for would be thief.

I found the lug wrench. I should have taken the time to check the spare
tire area.

Hi,
Not the normal wrench. Lug nut has key for that particular set.
Mechanics use a tool(wrench) to remove it say when the key is lost.
When you have a set installed it comes with a key for the set and it has
a number. When key is lost you can order a replacement key using that
no. But most often people don't safe keep the number. It happened to my
son's car. He misplaced the key and being unable to find it, I went to
tool shop and found a counter threaded socket which will bite into lug
not. I use air tool with compressor in my garage. Nothing to it removing
it. Lincoln? the dealer has to charge a set of it? I always make them
give me a free set. BTW, been a long time since we ever bought domestic
car. I still like Ford trucks tho.