Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT - Lug nuts

On 15 Sep 2009 12:23:44 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote in
:

In article m,
(Jules) writes:

| And a sufficiently-organized group probably has a whole array of
| different shaped keys at their disposal...

I've always thought that one of those "universal" sockets or a big
stud extractor might do the trick. There used to be a type of lug nut
lock that took an actual key in the center. Until it was unlocked the
outside just spun. This seemed conceptually neater than a
funny-shaped nut but I'm afraid it might not stand up to being hit
with a hammer...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

you can buy sockets at Harbor Freight for removing wheel locks when you
don't have a key.Just like you can buy "slim jims" at Advance Auto Parts
for opening locked car doors.

You can slim jim most cars, but I think it's a lot harder to get wheel
locks off.

And the point is to stop the average lunkhead, not to stop the most
well equipped, who won't go after 180 dollar wheels, but will want to
take apart a 100G car they have stolen, and sell all the parts.

I was washing my car at a do-it-yourself car wash in Indiana several
years ago, on Xmas, and I locked my keys in the car. I found a
convenience store only 30 yars away and was asking her for a wire
hanger, and a guy in the store offered to open the door for me.
Tunred out he was a pro locksmith. Not only did he have the slim
jim but an assorment of tools to pry the rubber away from the window a
little bit to make it easier to use the slim jim. It took him from 5
to 10 minutes and he woudln't accept money, because it was Xmas.

Anyhow, if you need to break into your car this way, use the passenger
door or the rear door. A friend locked himslef out and the
small-town police came and did it for free, but the mechanism got
diconnected in the process and he had to climb over the console for
the rest of the day until we got to my house and I took apart the door
and reconnected things.