Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT - Lug nuts

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:33:00 -0700, Kate wrote:

Gordon,

I found out that I do have lug nuts They are underneath a round cap on
the wheel. The lug wrench is in with the spare tire.

This is really very funny, because for 50 years or more, no one could
see the lugnuts on cars. They all had hubcaps or the larger wheel
covers, precisely to cover the less attractive lug nuts.

Then they started chrome plating lug nuts and letting them show, and
now Kate didn't even realize what was under the hubcap!!!!

I think hubcaps might be a good idea. I once parked my car with one
wheel cover off, and it snowed and the snow didn't melt for weeks,
during which I had shoulder surgery and recuperation, so I didn't move
the car, and when I finally had a flat tire 6 months later, 4 of the 5
studs on that wheel broke when tried to take off the nuts.

It was Sunday at 6 PM so I had to drive home from Newark airport with
only one bolt holding the wheel on.

I should have done more homework before posting this question.

Thanks.