Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi Robert Bonomi is offline

Default Shed roof question

In article ,
wrote:
I am going to build a storage shed. I've got more
than enough plans and ideas but one.

I want to build a shed with a low pitched roof. I don't
want a roof higher than about 15" +/- above the door.
It will be either a 8x10 or 8x12 shed.

Is there a "common' aesthetic when it comes to roofs
for sheds?

No. grin

That said, out-buildings tend to 'look funny' if they are taller than their
widest dimension.

I've seen many a plan where the roof is way
above the door (it seems like wasted space to me) and
others where there is barely a sense of a pitch.

The shed plan is a standard gable style.

Ideas? Thoughts?

It depends on locale.

As with house roofs, if you're looking at snow loads measured in feet,
the requirements are far different than if you're just shedding water.

The simplest guideline is 'make it high enough to store the tallest thing
you'll put in the shed'.

Some people like to store stuff -- either 'long', or 'bulky but lightweight'
types -- "overhead". This calls for a higher roofline than if everything
will sit on the floor, or shelves.

If you're using shelving, consider where the top shelf will be, and how much
clearance you'll have between there and the roof.