MP Toolman

Default Circular saw and blade recommendations

I have a 10+ year old Black & Decker Super Saw Cat that I like a lot. It has a
unique depth adjustment that works a lot nicer than the pivoting shoe. Also
has good blade visibility for following a line. I think there is a yellow
Dewalt version of this same saw.

I had a Porter Cable SawBoss for a while, but I did not like it. I found it
hard to see the blade when trying to follow a line, it seemed to throw saw dust
in my eyes, and it just did not feel comfortable.

I also have several other saws that all have their places. A Skill worm drive
that I use for rough grunt work. Good for rough work, but it would not be
close to my first choice for any even marginally exacting work. A Dewalt
battery powered saw good for when I do not want to drag out and plug in a
bigger saw just to make a few cuts. Last, a Porter Cable trim saw (4.5" if I
recall correctly.) Worm drive much like the Skill, but compact, well balanced,
and a joy to use for smaller work.

Mill

Subject: Circular saw and blade recommendations
From: "Paul"
Date: 11/16/2003 12:05 PM Eastern Standard Time
Have been looking(online at Lowe's) at circular saws. Want to have a good
one with a finishing blade for cutting ply, and hardwood, rip and crosscut.
Going to be using it for miter cuts and ripping pieces of wood that would be
awkward at best on my smallish table saw. Work space also limits adding
support tables to TS. I have seen, online the DeWalt, Milwaukee, and PC. The
PC looks interesting with the dust port that I can rig to my portable DC. I
would like an easy to adjust shoe, which looks like the DW and the PC.
Sooo, any thoughts on this. I have an old Skilsaw that was my dad's, but
think I'll keep it for use on MDF and rough cutting. Thanks.
--
Paul