Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Carpet underlay

In article ,
Invisible Man wrote:
We are going to replace the carpet in our hall stairs and landing which
are a fairly large area.

Existing carpet is hessian? backed on Uniroyal Tredaire Oben underlay
which to my untutored eyes looks to be in good condition.

I suspect most of the carpet retailers make most of their profits out of
underlay. Anyone knowledgeable about the need to replace underlay?

TIA for any advice.

My experience with decent carpets is that Tredair type underlay expires
long before the carpet is worn out. Especially in heavily used areas.
I've just re-done the hall and stairs with Cloud 9 (same carpet) and it
seems great. Only time will tell if it lasts.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.