Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default Older house wiring puzzle

John Gilmer wrote:
BULL****. pure and simple bull****. Bob buddy, we've been down this road
before in this group about K&T wiring and your Bull**** theories about
insurance. I even ASKED my *new* insurance agent about this exact thing,
and he said "we could care less". '

The key, IMO, it that you get your insurance from an independent agent
rather than applying directly to a company.

The agent will spread his clients around several companies and, thus, spread
the risk. An insurance company may be willing to have a few K&T homes on
its rolls but it doesn't want to ensure every house in some antique town.

Our agent never asked about wiring. The insurance company is licensed to
do business in the state (VA) and, thus, we can rely upon getting paid if
the house burns down. We don't worry and the insurance company doesn't
have excessive risk in one town.

The only difficulty we had with the insurace was because we got a LOT of
house for not much money (repro.) The carrier sent someone by to see with
his own eyes that the house was as big as we claimed. Our insurance will
pay "replacement" value so they don't want to be set up.

When a company sells a policy through an agent, it is in part using the
agent to screen clients. When they sell direct they don't get that
protection and they may not be willing to write on any but plain vanilla
type properties in sub-divisions.

My agent is a one company man. And he represents that company 100%.
So that blows that theory out i guess.