Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex4 Vortex4 is offline

Default 12V LED downlighter transformer question

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:28:40 +0100, Vortex3 wrote:

In fact pretty impressive. (ebay 130328613774 for more info), not cheap
but I purchased 4.

£54.15 to save 68W. Say 10p per kWhr, £54.15 buys you 541,500Whrs at
68W that's 7963hrs, 331 days with the lamps *never* switched off.

Assuming that these are only on during the evening for say 6hrs then
you are looking at over 3 1/2 years to break even assuming they are
on *every* evening for 6hrs.

This doesn't factor in the cost of replacing halogen bulbs over the
expected life of the LED replacement, which will reduce the payback
time. However the ebay description is a bit inconsistent on the
expected life of the LED bulb, 35khrs or 50khrs?

To me it's borderline economic sense. The cost and number of halogens
required over the life of the LED would be the determining factor not
the power saving.

I see from TLC I can purchase a simple linear transformer like
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLT50slash1.html which I am sure
would work ...and allow use of a dimmer.

I see in the description on ebay:

"Note: LED bulbs should not be used with dimmer switches."

--
Cheers
Dave.

I calculated 4 years. based on year-round average of 4-6 hours per day
usage.

I expect to live in my house for another 10+ years.

Honestly it's a "no brainer" but I accept these lamps wiill become cheaper
over time and don't forget energy prices will go up.