Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Repairing broken china

blueman wrote:
I would like to do as seamless a repair as possible of a broken plate
of fine (bone) china (made by Lenox).

The pieces all fit together seamlessly.

I tried using cyanocrylate (from Rockler) but it failed to hold. I
tried using different types of cyanocrylate (CA) including the thick,
flexible and media types. I tried putting the glue on just one side of
the crack and also on both sides. I tried wetting one side with
water. However, even after holding in place for 1-2 minutes, there was
zero adhesion.

- Is china just too porous to bond with CA? (I haven't had the problem
before with less "fine" china)?
- Could the CA be too old? (it is about 2 years old but still seems to
work just fine on glass and wood)
- Do I need to hold it together for longer? (although CA usually bonds
strongly for me within 30 seconds and these joints had zero adhesion
after 1-2 minutes)
- Is CA accelerator necessary? (again I haven't found it necessary in
the past though it does speed up bonding)

Alternatively, is there a better glue to use?
(I had preferred CA since it is clear and usually gives almmost no
joint line)
If so, what glues would you recommend?

Hi,
There are trained professionals who do such repair. One of my friend
does that. He went to England for training. Ask around where you live.