Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default hammer drills

"rb" wrote in message
I see some hammer drills with keyless chucks.

Hard for me to believe keyless chucks would grip a bit tightly enough to
work with it.

Are keyless chucks OK with hammer drills???

The answer is yes, no, definitely, and maybe. I would say they are okay,
but still, there is more chance of coming loose than a keyed chuck. Some
bits have a round shank, and some have a triangular shank. The keyless will
definitely hold better on the triangular ones, but once it comes loose at
all, it's wallowing out the metal inside. My recommendation is to use it
for 3/8" bits or less, and bigger than that, go SDS. SDS are so simple, and
reasonably priced, too. Plus, you can get points, chisel tips, different
"bits" for it.

Steve