Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Problem

On Sep 13, 8:26*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Grip" wrote in message

On Sep 13, 3:45 pm, "SteveB" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

On Sep 12, 8:25 pm, EJ Willson wrote:

Machine is 8 years old and has worked well for all this time. Today it
stopped working. When I turn the electricity on it hums and does not
rotate. It is not jammed. I can rotate the shaft by hand. Anybody have
any thoughts as to what is wrong?

Thanks,

EJ in NJ

Had them that I THOUGHT were turning, but there was definitely something
in
there. I'd turn it backwards, and it would unjam, then turn it on, and it
would jam in an instant. Take a flashlight and some long forceps and look
in there. If there is DEFINITELY POSITIVELY nothing in there, and the
reset
button is punched, and you get a hum, time to change it. 8 years is about
the lifespan of a good disposal.

Kinda makes one find a reason to go out and buy one of those little
endoscope cameras ...........

Steve

I had a similar problem. *Hum. *Able to loosen the hex, but then it
would jam again.

I removed the unit and disassembled it. *I found there was a nickel
wedged on edge between the spinning plate and the wall of the disposal.

I have found several coins in there, dimes being just the right size to get
under the paddles. *A good flashlight, and a good inspection can find lots
of small things, like bits of clear glass, which are almost invisible. *My
fingers are just the right length that I can put them down there and turn
the plate and find "stuff". *It's easy to know when you find glass.

Steve

Other than kids - who should only have to be told *once* - how do
coins end up in the disposer?

You found a nickel one time, you've found "coins" other times. You
even know which coins fit where.

Just what are you eating at your house?