Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default hammer drills

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:49:36 -0400, RBM wrote:

"rb" wrote in message
I see some hammer drills with keyless chucks.

Hard for me to believe keyless chucks would grip a bit tightly enough to
work with it.

Are keyless chucks OK with hammer drills???

Get a drill that uses SDS type bits. They snap in and can't slip, and it
seems to me, that the SDS Hilti and Bosch drills I've owned, transfer more
punch to the work than any non SDS Milwaukee, Ryobi, Makita, or Dewalt I've
owned

Agreed - I can't think of a single time where I would have found a hammer
drill useful; a good SDS makes the heavy stuff easy*, and a conventional,
lighter-weight rotary (and my DeWalt wasn't expensive, yet it's seen a lot
of use) seems to handle everything else.

* except when a chisel bit binds in a wall and I have to leave it there
while I drill around it to free it - grrr! :-)

I suppose I might talk myself into a cordless rotary too sometime, but
probably not in the near future (I prefer having constant power and not
messing with flat batteries, even if it does mean running a cord)

cheers

Jules