Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Circular Hole in a Bottle

"Larry" wrote in message

"RubEric" wrote in message
I wish to cut a round disk out of several wine bottles. The bottle
has an etched figure I wish to remove for another purpose. I have a
virtually unlimited supply of these bottles and they have no value so
I can afford to make mistakes.

How should I go about cutting a 2 inch diameter disk out of a bottle?
I had thought to use a diamond blade on my Ziptool to cut out a
rectangle and then wet grind the removed piece.

A diamond hole saw may be a possibility, but they are EXPENSIVE.

What would you suggest?

Thanks, Eric
*****
Hi Eric,

My suggestion is to go to your local Gem Club and ask them to use a rock
saw
to saw the bottle. You should be able to roughly cut out the area you
want
and then use their grinding wheels to shape it. Use a fine diamond wheel
finish off the edges so they are not sharp.

I am familiar with this type of equipment and have used it several times
cut bottles etc.

Here is a link to the Hervey Bay Gem & Mineral Club website.
http://tinyurl.com/hbgc4655
Click on "Club Photos" on the toolbar and then "Photos Around the Club"
You will see photos of the saws and grinding wheels to do the job.

Cheers,
Larry

someone with a wet tile saw would be able to do the same thing. there's lots
more tilers than mineral clubs.