Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Older house wiring puzzle

On Sep 14, 10:25�am, bud-- wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Sep 14, 1:17 am, bud-- wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Sep 13, 12:04 am, David Nebenzahl
I think you meant to type "GFCI", no? I don't think my client wants to
pay for them fancy newfangled GRCI breakers ...
Yeah why bother installing something that saves lives, bet they want
to save bucks on their new vehicle by deleting safety belts? and why
not remove and sell off the air bags too.
Maybe if you learned to read you could figure out what John and Dave said.

if the solder joint detoriates for whatever reason it can overheat and
since its not in a box cause a fire..
Another item you have been challenged on in the past. In years of doing
service work I never saw a solder joint that "deteriorated". I saw 2
that failed that were "cold joints" when they were made. One was K&T.

Anecdotal evidence (clare's younger brother) proves the real hazard is
Romex. I am confident you will now demand removal of all the hazardous
Romex wiring out there.

It is certainly as strong as your anecdotal evidence.

Or has an insurance company come up with actual casualty data?

--
bud--

K&T typically has one outlet per room, necessitating lots of extension
cords. beyond the unsafe stuff the OP admitted on post one and ii
pasted, do you still think K&T is safe and effective?

The number of outlets in a room has nothing to do with whether K&T is
safe. My house, originally wired with rigid pipe, had one or two outlets
per room when it was built.

The anecdotal evidence in this thread (clare) clearly indicates Romex is
unsafe.

nothing lasts forever despite how much you protest

Still missing - the insurance casualty data that shows K&T is unsafe. An
insurance company did not present any such data in one of the links that
was posted.

The only links that have been posted do not support your crusade against
K&T.

I believe the electricians in this newsgroup do not agree with you.

--
bud--- Hide quoted text -

yeah sure obsolete wiring thats been hacked repaired admitted by OP in
post number one so old the insulation is falling off, no GFCIs, no arc
fault breakers, no grounds, with lots of extension cords run around.

Yep totally safe and effective, heck its so great it should be the
standard.

all those required NEC safety codes are totally unnecessary, and state
farm is out to lunch refusing to insure homes with K&T/

heck high steps with no railings, its just a scam to sell
railings.....

those defending K&T are just attempting to defend their refusal to
upgrade their homes.......