Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Planer question BAD ADVICE!

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Sep 14, 5:24 pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message

I just tried a few boards on my DJ20 with no power. Every board could
be easily pulled back through the safety guard, unlike a featherboard.

That has been my experience with my DJ-20 and the 6" Reliant before
that...
and the spring tension on the DJ-20 is significantly higher than the
Reliant.

John

And my 6" General grabs a board just nicely.
.
.
.
We can go on like this for a while, eh?

Guess we could treat it like a social science issue instead of a hard
science issue here...

"The empirical evidence suggests that on average we can expect the guard on
a jointer to fail to prevent kick back." Which lets outliers like the above
mentioned General through while keeping the typical user safe by them not
expecting the guard to prevent kick back.

If someone wants to turn it into a hard science experiment and report the
results I'm for it...

H1: We can expect the guard on a jointer to fail to prevent kick back.

Got any engineers in the group who can conduct the testing? Hmmm... maybe
I'll run this by Chris Schwarz... those guys always need ideas for articles!

John