Clint Neufeld

Default Circular saw and blade recommendations

I wouldn't call the dust port useless. It does a good job of directing the
flow of sawdust, which is especially useful outside (to make sure it doesn't
get blown back into your face). Even inside, it does a good job of
directing the flow of sawdust. Perhaps if you could get a small hose
(instead of the 2.5" one I've got on my vac) it would make more sense. And
if you were to join the power and vac hose together, maybe it wouldn't be so
bad. The saw does make a pretty awful mess when cutting plywood...

One thing I don't like about it is the lock for the blade (for when you're
taking off the blade). It's in a difficult place, and if you've got fat
fingers, you'll have issues, I think. But get one good blade, and it won't
be a big deal.

The shoe adjustments (height and tilt) are pretty good. I'd try the left
blade if you get a chance. My dad thought I was nuts for getting one
(seeing as I'm not left handed), but it seems to make it easier to see the
cut-line. You hold the saw with your right hand, and the blade is on the
side closest to you, not the opposite side. Give it a whirl, and see what
you think. Or buy it at HD, and you can exchange it if you don't like it.
I didn't have a lot of experience with the circular saws, so I didn't have a
lot of in-grained training to overcome. I told my dad that I bought the
left blade so he wouldn't borrow it, however, as he figured he get all
confused.

Clint

"Paul" wrote in message
Was down to Rockler's this morning and stopped by Lowe's on the way home

look first hand. Overall I think I liked the PC the best. The shoe looked
better to me and was easily adjusted. Think I like the right blade tho,
altho never used the left blade. Your right bout the dust port, useless
perhaps, at least it has a cap on it. Too bad Rockler doesn't sell them.

Got
a 25% off coupon for the Thanksgiving sale. Thanks for the reply.
--
Paul

"You can make it foolproof, but you can't make it Damned foolproof."

"Clint Neufeld" wrote in message
I've got the left-blade PC, and I'm happy with it. But I'm no expert...

don't think I'd want to hook up the saw to a shop-vac or dust collector,

as
I think having the extra hose would get in the way, and make it much

more
awkward to cut. I use a Freud Diablo blade on mine, and it makes very

nice
cuts on plywood.

Clint

"Paul" wrote in message
Have been looking(online at Lowe's) at circular saws. Want to have a

good
one with a finishing blade for cutting ply, and hardwood, rip and

crosscut.
Going to be using it for miter cuts and ripping pieces of wood that

would
be
awkward at best on my smallish table saw. Work space also limits

adding
support tables to TS. I have seen, online the DeWalt, Milwaukee, and

PC.
The
PC looks interesting with the dust port that I can rig to my portable

DC.
would like an easy to adjust shoe, which looks like the DW and the

PC.
Sooo, any thoughts on this. I have an old Skilsaw that was my dad's,

but
think I'll keep it for use on MDF and rough cutting. Thanks.