Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
DVDfever DVDfever is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

On 15 Sep, 00:19, "Ian" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Sep 14, 10:43 pm, "alexander.keys1"

wrote:
There have been a lot of comments recently about the waste of energy
due to appliances being left on standby, and various gizmo's that are
on offer to turn them off automatically, or otherwise purporting to
save energy. What everybody seems to be forgetting is that an energy-
saving device comes with most UK socket outlets, it's called a
'switch', and when put into the 'off' position, power cosumption is
zero! None of my appliances, including computers, digital TV
receivers, etc. have come to harm through this practice, I always
switch off at the wall, back in the day when there were fewer
appliances this was standard procedure to avoid fire risk.

The phantom power issue is much over stated. In most cases it isn't
worth getting up to switch things off.

I think it depends on how old the appliance is. For example our old CRT Sony
television was using almost the same power on standby as it was when turned
on. The new LCD HD one uses just 1 watt on standby.

All my TVs go on standby when not in use, except one. In my main room,
next to the plasma and a bit further down, is an old 26" Ferguson 4:3
TV. I only really use it when snooker's on so it sits there quite
often on mute so I watch TV on the plasma and keep an eye on the
snooker occasionally.

However, the snooker's not often on, so there's no point it being on
most of the time. Also, when in standby it just comes back on a minute
or so later for no particular reason so off it goes properly.

It's amazing that some people go, "Ooh, I'm so green that I unplug all
of my TVs, PC, Sky- whatever" but if you ask them to unplug their
fridge and freezer and nooooooooooooooooooo, they won't. Green, my
arse!