Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default SBR saves the day

Steve Walker coughed up some electrons that declared:

Stuart Noble wrote:
Tim S wrote:
As most of you know, I have a very crappy front room floor, half of
which is "screeded" with a very weak mix.

A few weeks ago I soaked 10l of SBR mixed with 30l of water into the
floor until it could take no more (20m2).

Yesterday, I was patch-screeding to fill in the deeper holes where I'd
removed loose screed. I had to chisel a little bit more out to clean up
the edge of a hole, so I took the chance to see what the SBR had done.

Result - on a 1/2" thick lump 3" back from the edge, there was a strong
SBR film on the top and the rest of the lump was consistently tough

The main feature of SBR is its small molecule size compared to pva, so
it mimics the behaviour of a solvent based product. The slight downside
is that in a mortar mix the bulk of it tends to take off on its own into
the substrate, but that's beneficial in a screed .

Sounds very handy, must buy some - is this the stuff?
www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/acc-details.php?aid=318

Yes, but that's an expensive way of buying it (but no worse than walking
into Travis Perkins - they *will* ass rape you.

If I can plan forward enough and need more than 5l, I buy from

http://www.permagaurd.com/

Otherwise:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...=hp&q=sbr&q=5l

Indicates the average price is 12-15 quid - but delivery varies.