Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default How much foundation for a path is enough?

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

-snip-
My understanding is that the "modified" (ground?) stone base is to
promote drainage and prevent frost heave....weeds would be prevented by
laying landscape cloth under the pavers/stone.

No- the landscape cloth prevents the soil and drainage layer from
mixing, defeating the purpose of the drainage layer.

Landscape cloth that I use is water-permeable, drains well. I have seen
solid plastic sheet used under stone, which is bad news. L.c. is
available, I believe, for up to 20-year life.

One dry leaf lands on the gravel, gets stepped on, crumbles and gets
below the surface and it will hold enough moisture to sprout a weed.

Step on the pavers, not the gravel. After seeing the OP's photo, and as
others have mentioned, snow removal might be a problem with the planned
installation.

The only way to preve . . . er. . . control weed growth is to spray
each year with a weed-killer with a pre-emergent additive.

We have little weed growth on our rock/paver area, and the few that do
start are very easy to pull by hand because there isn't soil for them to
establish in.

Jim