Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default How much foundation for a path is enough?

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I'm going for this look:

http://freeboundaries.com/path.jpg

I just had a contractor come and give me an estimate. He insisted that
what is required is to dig six inches down and pack the opening with
modified stone.

I was hoping to just build up to the grade that I wanted with fill and
tamp it down. Here's what I have so far:

http://freeboundaries.com/path1.jpg

Do you agree with the contractor or will I get satisfactory results
with my approach?

Thanks,

Aaron

I agree with the contractor. You need the base for stability, so things
don't move around, and to protect the flagstones from breaking, and to
greatly reduce weed problems.

My understanding is that the "modified" (ground?) stone base is to
promote drainage and prevent frost heave....weeds would be prevented by
laying landscape cloth under the pavers/stone.