Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Circular Hole in a Bottle

On Sep 14, 1:31*am, RubEric wrote:
I wish to cut a round disk out of several wine bottles. *The bottle
has an etched figure I wish to remove for another purpose. *I have a
virtually unlimited supply of these bottles and they have no value so
I can afford to make mistakes.

How should I go about cutting a 2 inch diameter disk out of a bottle?
I had thought to use a diamond blade on my Ziptool to cut out a
rectangle and then wet grind the removed piece.

A diamond hole saw may be a possibility, but they are EXPENSIVE.

What would you suggest?

Thanks, Eric

About 30 years ago my sister in law did something like what you are
doing, it would be funny if it was the same bottles. She cut the top
and bottom off the bottles forming a cylinder and then cut the design
from that in a rectangle. She nibbled it down as far as she could to
the right shape and then took it to a glass dealer for final polishing
and shaping. I believe hers was an oval. She made Christmas ornaments
of them.

Jimmie