Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default NG Policies

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:24:14 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Jason Carlton wrote:

While we're on the subject of policies, though, is the preferred
method of reply for this NG to top post, bottom post, or post within
the original?

Yes. All are appropriate at different times. You should be smart enough
to figure out when to do what.

Much more difficult it seems is what to quote. You should delete
everything except what is essential to your reply. There is seldom a
reason to quote an entire message, usually just a few sentences, as I just
did here. If you edit/delete correctly it is usually really clear

Bottom posting is preferred, "top posting" is also referred to as "Jeopardy!
posting" since the answer comes before the question.

Laziness is usually why people don't trim the quote in a response.

Bottom or top - both are easy enough to deal with as long as there is
proper and judicious trimming.

Leave enough of the previous post to gove context to what you are
saying.