Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Circular Hole in a Bottle

"RubEric" wrote in message
I wish to cut a round disk out of several wine bottles. The bottle
has an etched figure I wish to remove for another purpose. I have a
virtually unlimited supply of these bottles and they have no value so
I can afford to make mistakes.

How should I go about cutting a 2 inch diameter disk out of a bottle?
I had thought to use a diamond blade on my Ziptool to cut out a
rectangle and then wet grind the removed piece.

A diamond hole saw may be a possibility, but they are EXPENSIVE.

What would you suggest?

Thanks, Eric

Where is the figure located on the bottle?

Assuming it is where labels are usually on bottles, use a glass cutter to
score a line above and below the area you wish to keep, then use a curved
rod to tap the area on the inside where the score marks were made. The
glass should fracture along the lines.

Now that you have a cylinder, score adjacent to the figure and another score
on the cylinder opposite the figure. Tap on the inside along the score
lines and the glass should fracture where scored. Grind the figure out of
the remaining chunk of glass.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.