Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default NG Policies

CWLee wrote:

"Bob M." wrote

Bottom posting is preferred, ...

Many people do prefer bottom posting, and many also prefer top posting.

I think bottom posting works best for those who join a discussion late
in the discussion, after several postings, since reading in the normal
manner (top to bottom) gives the chronological sequence of questions,
answers, comments, etc. I think top posting works best for those
actively following a thread from the beginning, since the latest
response is read first, and one doesn't have to wade through all the
previously provided material.

My preference (which happens rarely) is for each poster to edit the
post, leaving out irrelevant material, and interweaving his comments
within the post, adjacent to the individual points the previous
poster(s) made.

I don't think anyone is going to change his approach, but maybe if the
pros and cons of all methods are understood there will be less rudeness
here and in other newsgroups.

My personal preference would be for top posting, the way e-mail threads
end up looking like when nobody trims when they answer. Got used to that
from the old green-screen days. (and pre-GUI, with a slow dialup, you
could skip to the next message quicker.) But after getting beaten about
the head and shoulders several times about it, I bowed the majority and
forced myself to get used to bottom posting. Exception, as others have
noted, for going in-line in long complex replies.

--
aem sends...