Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Older house wiring puzzle

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

I already did that, and I thought I posted that here. When I cut the
single wire, all the lights in the front of the house--living room and
front porch--went out. No outlets, just lights. So I know what's on that
circuit. I just don't know exactly where neutral wire for that circuit
comes out. But since it'll all be replaced by NM anyhow, doesn't really
matter. I was hoping someone could comment authoritatively on that
anomaly (the single-wire feeds), but I guess not.

To trace the mystery wire get one of those AC circuit tester pen gizmos. If
I recall these will sniff out an active circuit under the plaster. So what
you do is kill all circuits except the mystery one and trace the wire runs.

I might disconnect the neutral at the source to allow also tracing the
neutral with a "gizmo". Or swap the hot and neutral to trace the neutral
separately. (Only to be done if you know what you are doing.)

A tracer for identifying breakers might have enough range to trace
buried wires. It can identify the neutral at the panel.

You might be able to use a phone "fox and hound" tracer on disconnected
wiring. (Also only if you know what you are doing.)

--
bud--