Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Slightly OT - Electrical Puzzle

In article ,
"Bob M." wrote:

"E Z Peaces" wrote in message

When humidity is low, clothing rubbing against car seats can cause static
shocks when a person touches grounded metal. If the car manufacturer puts
some megohms between that metal and ground, touching it will drain the
charge painlessly.

~10 years ago, when 3M still made the "touch me first" anti-static strips
for computer keyboards, I took one and stuck it to the armrest/door handle
of my car then ran the wire in behind the trim and attached the wire to some
point on the body. It worked great. Wish I could still get them!

I don't remember those, but maybe you could make your own personal
discharge device with a piece of self-adhesive copper foil and a
resistor. Or look into the ESD gizmos (wrist straps, etc.) used by
electronic assemblers.