Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iws iws is offline

Default Your experience with Fry's

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
| I once bought a rather pricey video card that had been returned.
| I had no way to inspect the contents at the store. When I got
| home, instead of the expensive video card, a cheap junk
| commodity video card had been substituted. The previous buyer
| had done the swap, and the expert Fry's staff could not recognize
| the difference between the pricey card and the cheap junk
| commodity card when it was returned. Caveat Emptor.
|
| Wasn't he one of the worst Roman tyrants?
|
| Had it been marked as returned?

That's one of the nice things about Fry's - you can tell that something's
been returned because it has a sticker showing that and usually a discounted
price.

| I appreciate the warning. I generally buy only DVDs/BDs and parts at
Fry's.
| I'll keep this in mind if and when I buy anything "nice". Thanks.

I know it's fashionable to dump on Fry's but their sale prices are usually
pretty good and their personnel are no more clueless than what you'll find
at the competition (Best Buy, etc.) I bought my 61" TV there at a price
unmatched even online. Delivery and setup went without a hitch. Their price
match works too although I've only ever used it for stuff I've bought at
Fry's that subsequently went on sale. And their ads along with those of the
grocery chains, the daily crossword, and sodoku are the only reasons I
continue to get a daily newspaper!