Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iws iws is offline

Default Your experience with Fry's

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
| On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:22:48 -0700, "iws" wrote:
|
| Well, with Fry's, whenever I've returned something, even unopened, they
open
| it, check that all the stuff is there and then slap a returned sticker on
it
| and that generally winds up back on the shelf at a discounted price.
|
| I once bought a rather pricey video card that had been returned.

Well, that's your first mistake isn't it? I never buy returned stuff from
Fry's unless it's all that's available and I'm desperate. The one time I can
recall doing that, I opened it up in the store to make sure the right items
were all there.
| had no way to inspect the contents at the store.

Sorry, I'd insist on doing it at the cash register on such an item.

When I arrived home,
| instead of the expensive video card, a cheap junk commodity video card
| had been substituted. The previous buyer of the card had done the
| swap, and the expert Fry's staff could not recognize the difference
| between the pricey card and the cheap junk commodity card when it was
| returned. Caveat Emptor.
|
| I've also bought returns where something important was missing. For
| example, an ATI All-in-Wonder card, that included a fancy cable the
| connector box. The card was present and accounted for, but not the
| cable. The Fry's employee that accepted the return could have looked
| at the contents listed on the outside of the box, but I suspect that
| would have been asking to much.
|
| In both cases, complaining to Fry's produced sympathy, and nothing
| else.

So they claim you made the switch when you returned it?

| I have other Fry's horror stories, both first and 2nd hand, but you
| can find those all over the web. The above are simply two problems
| I've experienced with repackaged merchandise.

That's why you should avoid returned stuff. BTW, I've never had a problem
returning stuff to Fry's and I do it fairly frequently.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCatalog?outlet=true&langId=-1&storeId=10151&docname=ShoppingArea%2FCatalogSect ion%2FOutletSubsection%2FOutletDisplay_Generic3.js p&N=4294961692&catalogId=10551&categoryId=16160

http://www.LearnByDestroying.com