Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Planer question BAD ADVICE!

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 01:44:53 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"dpb" wrote:

It's specifically designed for the task -- that's why there's the
extension table on the front and the rabbet removed for stock
clearance and the support on the rear bed.

Lengthwise, it's the tool of choice...

I'll pass.

Lew

Me too.

In my first few minutes of introduction to a joiner, it threw a short board across the shop. That
board laughed at any effort my pork chop guard put out at stopping the kickback. My fingers (all 4
of them plus the thumb) of my right hand were numb for several minutes, and I am sure I felt an urge
to urinate when I realized how close I'd come to serious injury. I had RTFM at least twice, and
still screwed up. That was some years ago, but I've never forgotten the lesson.

I'd never cut a rebate on a joiner. My weapon of choice nowadays would be a Stanley #78 (fillister
plane, Jeff). Since I don't do woodworking for a living, most of my work is one off. For small
jobs, a hand plane is often quicker than setting up a dado for the saw. Certainly quieter.

Need dozens to hundreds of feet of rebate? I'd break out the TS and dado and have at it. I'd even
consider using one of those tailed banshee's of a router with that much to cut.

My $0.02.

Regards,
Roy