Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Planer question BAD ADVICE!

On Sep 13, 9:36*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

One more try. Put a board...like a 2x4 in between the fence and the
guard. (Without cutter running... for safety)
Go to the front of the outfeed table and push back towards the infeed
table. The guard should bind the work piece against the fence. Should.
It is the whole point of the porkchop shape.

Did it, the first time I replied, and it doesn't hold a bit.

With all do respect (because from your posts you obviously know your
stuff) I think the porkchop is the shape it is so that it will move out
of the way, in the same manner and with the same effort, not matter how
narrow or wide the board is, that is being pushed into it.

I appreciate your semi vote of confidence..LOL
I did spend some time looking at a lot of images of cutter guards and
it is clear that many won't do a thing to stop kick back. The european
guards will not do a thing to stop kick-back. Like Mini Max, for
instance.Conversely, many will, and many will at varying thicknesses
(widths?)
Some of the Powermatic ones look like they'd do a pretty good job at
most of their spec'd widths.
The General ones, like mine, are more 'iffy' at wider widths.

In summation: Mine works like a cam and stops my being able to pull
back a board, certainly up to 2" thick.
Yours might not.
Steve Turner's does, somewhat, up to a point.
So... what izzit? Smooth or Crunchy?