Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Silly question time..

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:47:00 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:10:44 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On 13 Sep 2009 16:36:27 GMT, the renowned steamer
wrote:

--Got to ruminatin' this morning; how the heck is steel wool made?
Anyone know?

I'll avoid giving the obvious answer involving metallic ruminants...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_wool

Steel wool is made from low-carbon steel (low enough to be close to
plain iron). It is not made by drawing ”steel wool wire” through a
tapered die, but rather by a process more like broaching where a heavy
steel wire is pulled through a toothed die that removes a thin wire
shaving.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I always wondered why steel wool has sharp edges than is "round" as
would be found by pulling through a die. Excellent

From one of my favorite woodworking authors, Jeff Jewitt:
http://www.steelwool.biz/Steel_Wool_Stuff_to_know1.htm

--
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite
at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.