Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default Shortest lived C-clamp...

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
The cast iron was likely not just iron. Scrap junk into the mix
so Al, Cu, zinc and trash.

I told the story in welding group IIRC - making some pipe joint plates
onto large sheet metal bases. The set the lady got me were HD and
when welded with Nickel rod - the flange flattened out like it was
full of air. She wanted a pair more - so I got mine from the
hardware store. USA made - and they welded like expected - kept shape
except where welded on.

Junk metal is coming out of China - took our scrap, ran up the prices
and gives back crap.

I hope the massive dam they are making has quality RE BAR so it won't
fail!

I guess you are talking about Seven Gorges and yes, it's complete with
several "problems", materials included but there sems to be a design flaw or
two as well.

--
John R. Carroll