Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Problem

"Joe" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 8:25 pm, EJ Willson wrote:
Machine is 8 years old and has worked well for all this time. Today it
stopped working. When I turn the electricity on it hums and does not
rotate. It is not jammed. I can rotate the shaft by hand. Anybody have
any thoughts as to what is wrong?

Thanks,

EJ in NJ

Had them that I THOUGHT were turning, but there was definitely something in
there. I'd turn it backwards, and it would unjam, then turn it on, and it
would jam in an instant. Take a flashlight and some long forceps and look
in there. If there is DEFINITELY POSITIVELY nothing in there, and the reset
button is punched, and you get a hum, time to change it. 8 years is about
the lifespan of a good disposal.

Kinda makes one find a reason to go out and buy one of those little
endoscope cameras ...........

Steve